Monday, April 29, 2013

Final Project Proposal

For my final project this semester I hope to create an interactive map that illustrates the layout for the East Coast Surfing Championships.  Preferably, I would like to use methods such as 3-d modeling, panning and zooming, rollover effects, multiple layers, scenes, and simple animations in order to portray the area around the 1st Street Jetty in Virginia Beach where the contest is located.  I am going to use the data on the ECSC official website, satellite images, as well as my own personal knowledge from attending previous years in order to create a map as precise as possible. With this being said, I have selected this topic because my fiancé and I have attended this contest multiple times, and the map on the webpage seems very minimal. Furthermore, the audience that this map will be geared towards is ECSC contestants and observers, as well and the general public.  They style that I wish to incorporate with this map will have an overall feel of a tourist map, “cartoony” and eye-catching. 

I have already begun brainstorming and planning for my project and have realized that I am taking on a lot.  With the due date on May 14, I know that I have much a head of me.  Timeline wise, I hope to have the brainstorming and data acquisition done within the next week (I’m shooting for April 9th).  Then I plan on giving myself until the weekend of April 20th to have finished the overall basic layout of my map.  Additionally, at this time I will also need to complete any 3-d modeling effects that I wish to include within the completed product. From there, I should have enough time to add effects, troubleshoot, and put the finishing touches on my work.  Moreover, I realize that I may run into many obstacles along the way.  Issues ranging anywhere from stylistic hindrances, to scripting errors, and data acquisition problems may stand in the way of successfully crafting my vision.  It will take hard work, and a great deal of effort on my part, to overcome these difficulties and reach my goal. 

A few examples of inspiration:

http://www.surfecsc.com/event-schedule/beach-map/

This map is the provided map on the official ECSC website.  I like the overall feel of the map, but in my opinion it needs quite a bit of work.  It lacks detail, which could be really useful to those who are not familiar with the area when navigating to and from the event.  Also, I hope to provide further information on when specific events happen (the contest is multiple days), additional parking, restaurant options, as well as hotel locations and recreation activities. Furthermore, I really would like to step up the stylistic attributes.

http://www.cavejunctionoregon.com/page%2010.htm

I really love the style and feel of this map.  I know it’s a little elaborate, but this is the character that I would really like to recreate when constructing my final project.  With this being said, I feel that this aspiration may take the most time, and become the most challenging aspect of my overall design. 

Wish me Luck….I’m going to need it ;) 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment